You’ve probably heard drugs and alcohol talked about in school with the various substance abuse prevention methods they teach. You’ve heard that they’re bad, and those bad things can happen to the people who use them. But what’s really so bad? Why is there so much alarm over these two things? Unfortunately, there are a lot of tragedies that happen – like car crashes and accidental overdoses – that are solely due to the abuse of drugs and alcohol. There are a lot of organizations dedicated to raising awareness about these two things as well as substance abuse prevention, and you can learn all about the facts, figures, and realities of these two substances from them. Check out the links below for more information on drugs and substance abuse prevention.
Drug and Substance Abuse Prevention
Related to Drugs
- Drugs and Your Body – You’ve probably heard that drugs are bad…but what makes them bad? Find out on this webpage from Scholastic, which explains, comic-book-style, what drugs do to your body.
- PEERx: Teen Prescription Drug Abuse – Not all drugs are illegal. Over-the-counter drugs can be just as dangerous, and it’s movements like PEERx that help save lives.
- Generation Rx (PDF) – Almost one out of every five teenagers reports using prescription drugs to reach a high. Learn more about prescription drug abuse here, and take a look at some of the additional resources.
- Xperiment: Drugs – What do drugs actually do to you? URL the Eyeball demonstrates what some of the effects of drugs can be.
- Illegal Drugs Summary Chart – It can be hard to tell if someone has been using drugs, or even what kind of drugs they’ve been using! This handy chart tells you about four different kinds of drugs, how they work, and what symptoms they have.
- Illegal Drugs – Drugs aren’t good for anyone, but they’re especially bad for kids and teenagers whose bodies are still developing. Find out why, and what kinds of drugs there are, here at the Partnership for a Drug-Free Canada.
- Cocaine Basement – Taking cocaine will alter the way you think, but it can also alter your personality. The Cocaine Basement, provided by Talk to Frank, can answer your questions about cocaine and what effects it has on the human body.
- Drug Guide – It can be useful to know what certain drugs look like. See pictures of some of the more popular drugs, like amphetamine, along with their “street names” and more facts about each one.
- Is Marijuana Addictive? – You may have heard that smoking marijuana isn’t that big of a deal. Find out what the White House has to say about it here.
- The Truth About Drugs Booklet (PDF) – This is a good introduction to what drugs are and why people make the decision to take them. There are also some facts about drug use in the world today.
- Stephanie’s Diary – Stephanie is a regular sixteen-year-old kid, but some of her friends are starting to experiment with drugs. Read her diary to find out how she handles the situation!
- What Does Meth Do to Your Body? – Meth is a particularly dangerous drug. Find out why in this online Operation-style game.
Related to Alcohol
- What are the Risks? – One drink of alcohol can make you feel a bit loopy, but serious drinking, even in one night, can mean far more serious consequences. Learn what they are on this page from Rethinking Drinking.
- Drugs & Alcohol: Above the Influence – It’s important to know all the facts about alcohol to be able to make an informed decision about it. The Above the Influence website, designed specifically for young teenagers, has information on alcohol, drugs, and topics like peer pressure and bullying.
- Youth and Impaired Driving – You may not be driving yet, but chances are that you’re only a few years away from taking the wheel. When you do, it’s important to understand that your actions in a car have a much greater, more powerful effect. This website has some good statistics on the risks of drinking and driving.
- High Risk High: Personal Stories – Most kids tend to make the right decision about alcohol, but for the few who don’t, there are consequences. Watch these videos about middle school kids, and learn how their experiences with alcohol changed their lives.
- Alcohol Abuse Facts – Drinking alcohol slows your body down. Find out how it progresses, and what the risks of alcoholism are.
- Alcohol: Getting the Right Message – Why are there laws about drinking? Find out why it’s important to be good to your body and to keep alcohol out of it while you’re still growing up.
- Keeping Yourself Safe – It’s just as important to stay away from drunk drivers as it is to not drink yourself. This webpage has some great suggestions for saying “no” to alcohol.
- 11 Facts about Teens and Alcohol – Underage drinking is a serious problem. DoSomething.org has eleven sad facts about underage drinking.
- Look Out!: Alcohol – In this interactive online game, you can explore Cosmos Loop for information about alcohol and how to avoid it. There are mini-games, facts, and fun surprises no matter where you click!
- Information about Alcohol – Did you know that drinking alcohol can cause bad breath? If you’re just looking for a quick overview of alcohol, this website has a brief summary of the important facts.
- What Can Alcohol Do to Your Body? – You may have heard of “hangovers,” and it’s true that people who drink often suffer from them. This short article talks about what else alcohol does to your body, and why it can be dangerous.
Contacting Best Drug Rehabilitation is another great way to find out more information about substance abuse prevention. We have qualified counselors that can assist you and guide you with anything related to addiction, drug abuse, alcoholism, substance abuse prevention, as well as addiction treatment options.