Addiction can affect a lot of things within an individual’s life. For instance, health can be heavily impacted by short term or long term abuse of drugs or alcohol. Two large areas that addiction can affect quite largely is an individual’s personal hygiene and appearance. In fact, personal hygiene and appearance can be impacted by addiction in a large range of ways. Being that addiction affects appearance, it can also cause a person to care less about themselves and their bodies. Even regular practices of taking care of themselves can become null and void.
Some of the Ways Addiction Affects Appearance
Addiction affects appearance and hygiene in ways such as:
- Oral Health – A person that is struggling with addiction can take extremely poor care of their teeth and mouth, which can lead to a variety of negative effects, such as meth mouth. It is unfortunately not an uncommon sight to see an addict with yellowing or rotting teeth because of the direct effects of drug use and proper dental care has become an extremely neglected practice. They also often have bad breath, which is also due to lack of dental care. Since they are not necessarily aware of their poor dental state or do not care, it continues to escalate, as they do not go see the dentist or change their behavior.
- Body – A person struggling with addiction often does not properly wash their body, which can lead to heavy body odor or potential infections in various parts of the body.
- Dirty Possessions – When a person becomes so heavily fixated upon using their drug of choice, their material possessions can often become neglected. They can have filthy places of residence, as well as various dirty possessions. And for those who use drugs intravenously, this could include using dirty needles.
- Skin – Extended use of substances can cause a loss of skin elasticity. It can begin to display wrinkles, acne, scars, and other various marks. These effects to the skin are why many long term addicts often appear to be much older than they are.
- Eye – Substances can affect a person’s eyesight in a few different ways, with one of the largest being drying out the eyes. In the long run, this can cause permanent damage, potentially even requiring the person to now wear glasses to address the issue.
Living in Oblivion
One of the worst aspects of how addiction affects appearance is the fact that the person may not even realize all of these neglected areas. They may not notice they have worn the same clothes for a week, that their house is torn apart, that they cannot see as well as they used to, all because the addiction has become the primary focus. When a person gets sober, they can begin to notice all of the hygiene and appearance effects of their addiction, and could even realize that they look different than the last time they truly saw themselves.
Best Drug Rehabilitation Can Help You or Your Loved One
A person struggling with addiction can often feel like they are alone and there is no one that can help them, but this is far from the case, as treatment can assist a person to overcome their addiction. Best Drug Rehabilitation helps many individuals to overcome addiction every year by referring them to the right program for their needs. We can do the same for you or your loved one. We know that struggling with addiction can be extremely arduous, but we are here to help. We seek a custom program for each person and this allows the whole of their addiction to be addressed. Take the first step toward a sober life and give us a call today at our toll-free number. For more information on addiction treatment or how addiction affects appearance, give us a call!