Many emotions can be a force in constructive growth or personal destruction, leading to pain, anguish, grief, apathy, and remorse. For many drug and alcohol addicts, anger has become a negative force in their lives leading to pain, anguish, and hurt. When these emotions are out of control, it causes family, work and relationship problems and furthers the cycle of abuse and addiction. This why anger management classes are an integral part of addiction recovery.
Learning how to handle emotion and constructively addressing the underlying causes of an emotional upset is essential to a successful rehabilitation program. Anger management classes can be a pivotal part of recovery. These classes teach you how to control your anger and use it as a force for constructive growth.
An effective program helps individuals learn to handle emotion before it controls them. Classes and education help addicts break the cycle of addiction and identify the underlying causes of their drug or alcohol abuse. For many individuals, their substance abuse is linked with uncontrolled anger at people and past events in their lives.
Changing the Way Individuals Think About and Handle Their Emotional Ups and Downs
During anger management classes, a certified educator will work with recovering addicts to change the way they think about emotion. The first step is identifying the root cause for the emotional upsets. For example, some individuals may repeatedly become frustrated on a daily basis.
While environmental causes, like a long line at the grocery store or gridlock traffic, may be leading to this frustration, the actual root cause may be something entirely different. Deeply ingrained hurt and emotion over a personal loss or abuse may be the exact reason. By identifying this cause, an educator can then help an individual find their own response to daily upsets.
Strategies Learned in Anger Management Classes
One-on-one counseling helps teach people practical strategies for handling emotion. These anger management strategies include:
- Creative thinking and problem-solving:
- Counselors will help individuals learn strategies for effectively addressing situations in their daily lives that causes violence. While individuals cannot control all aspects of their environment, they can control their response. Problem-solving strategies help individuals find creative solutions for expressing their emotions without hurting those around them.
- Better communication:
- A treatment program teaches individuals how to communicate with others effectively. Communication strategies for constructive conversations ensure productive dialogue rather than a screaming match.
- Breathing through emotional upsets:
- Taking a deep breath, counting to ten, or visualizing something positive are all strategies for managing anger as it begins to boil up inside an individual. During one-on-one counseling, the counselor and client practice responding to different scenarios, using breathing exercises to find calm in the chaos.
Unless a recovering addict can learn these effective measures for dealing with daily upsets they are in danger of relapsing. For this reason, treatment programs offer an aftercare service to give clients continued support as they begin their transition back into the community. In this way, the client never feels alone because someone is always available to talk or to listen.
We Can Help Locate the Right Program
While emotional upsets cannot simply be eliminated, through one-on-one education, rehab helps individuals identify the causes for their anger and learn strategies for effectively handling anger. This contributes to stopping the cycle of addiction and abuse.
In a comprehensive addiction treatment program that includes counseling, skills training, nutritional guidance, music and art therapy, and exercise routines, clients develop better attitudes about life in general. They also gain the ability to communicate more effectively and learn how to interact with others in a group setting. In this way, each client becomes more confident and is ready to face the daily challenges of life without the need for addictive substances.
If you need an addiction treatment program but aren’t sure which one is best for you, call Best Drug Rehabilitation today. Our team of experts can recommend a program that suits your needs perfectly.