Most likely you’ve heard of the idea that spirituality can help people stay away from alcohol or drugs. This is not a new idea and has been shown to be useful in helping individuals become sober and maintain their sobriety. There are a variety of spiritual practices that can work differently for different people. Finding the method that works best for you will ensure you reap all of the benefits that can come from including spirituality in recovery. Continue reading to learn about the importance of spirituality in recovery from addiction.
What is Spirituality?
Spirituality is an inner path that enables a person to discover his or her inner-being. Spiritual practices are the activities that help the individual discover who they are, and can act as tools to help the individual develop their religion. If the person isn’t religious, spiritual practices can serve as a means to help them in their journey. Many people use spiritual tools solely for how it benefits their life in general.
Benefits of Spirituality in Recovery
There are a large number of advantages that can be had if spirituality is incorporated into an individual’s addiction recovery. The benefits that can be experienced with spirituality in recovery include:
- A person lives longer by keeping stress levels at a minimum, as stress has been associated with many types of physical and mental illnesses.
- Leads a person to experience feelings of transcendence and enlightenment.
- Reduces the character flaws that got them into their addiction in the first place.
- The individual finds meaning in their life again now that they are no longer taking a mind-altering substance.
- The person copes better with the trials and tribulations of life by giving them the ability to control their emotions and fears.
- Gives the person a boost and allows them to get the most out of their day.
- Tools, such as meditation, allow the person to find clarity within themselves no matter how chaotic life gets.
- Allows the individual to sleep better and wake up feeling more energized and refreshed.
- Helps a person feel happier and more content.
- Contributes to a person being the best that they can be and can make them a better member of society.
- Decreases the chance of relapse.
- Allows the person to lift their mood without the need of alcohol or drugs. It is possible to experience a natural high that doesn’t contain any adverse side effects.
Different Types of Spiritual Practices
There is a large variety of spiritual practices that allow a person to choose the one that best suits their needs. An individual may choose just one method or can decide to use a combination of practices to achieve the benefits they want. The different types of spiritual practices that person can try include:
- Prayer: This is probably the most well-known form of spiritual practices. It is a way of communicating with the individual and their higher power.
- Meditation: This is a form of awareness where the individual is completely focused on the present moment.
- Gratitude: Gratitude is where the person can acknowledge the good things they have in their life. Gratitude is one of the most effective spiritual practices for those who are recovering from addiction.
- Creativity: Activities such as painting, writing or making music can be spiritual practices that can help a person understand and discover who they truly are. Additionally, they are great ways to express oneself.
- Helping others: This is another recommended practice for those who are recovering from addiction. It has been discovered that those who engage in a service in recovery are more likely to stay sober. Helping others can be as simple as volunteering for an activity, such as a soup kitchen or race, or it can be more in depth.
- Metta meditation: Metta meditation, also known as loving-kindness meditation, is another great and potent tool for those who are recovering from addiction. This type of meditation gives the individual the ability to forgive other people for any transgression they have done, along with learning how to forgive and love themselves.
Find Out More about Spirituality in Recovery at Best Drug Rehabilitation
At Best Drug Rehabilitation, we understand just exactly what it takes to fully recover and heal from the downward spiral that is drug or alcohol addiction and all that is involved with it. Our recommendations have proven to be very successful. We do our absolute best to find a unique approach to addiction treatment that encompasses all of the different aspects of the physical, emotional and spiritual issues involved in addiction. If you or a loved one are struggling with an addiction or would like to learn more about spirituality in recovery and how it can be incorporated into your recovery treatment plan, please contact us at our toll-free number now.