Overcoming addiction and achieving one’s sobriety is one of the greatest accomplishments. It takes tremendous courage and confront to be able to face the difficulties and issues that need to be addressed as part of it. While they have achieved an amazing thing with overcoming addiction, recovery is something which needs to be continuously maintained throughout life. This is where the loved one’s of the individual become very helpful in encouraging and promoting them in their addiction and recovery treatment.
Ways to Impact a Loved One’s Addiction and Recovery
There is a multitude of things that loved ones can do to help encourage and positively affect a person’s recovery. As the people that the recovering individual most closely associates with, you can have a very powerful positive influence within their life and can help to keep them in recovery. Loved ones opinions and viewpoints can be highly valued by them and it is important to use this as a way to encourage them. Ways to positively affect a loved one’s addiction and recovery could include:
- Offer Words of Encouragement – Words of encouragement can be great to help the recovering person stay on the path. The reality is that recovery can sometimes be extremely difficult. When cravings or triggers hit, encouraging the person can help them to maintain their sobriety and overcome these difficulties.
- Make Note of Improvements – If you notice marked positive changes in them or their behavior, then let them know about it. Small comments such as, “I noticed you have seemed much happier,” can help a person to realize that what they are doing is worth it and that they should continue on with it.
- Stay In Communication – Sometimes the individual in recovery just needs someone to talk to, whether it be about their recovery or not. Having loved ones that they can communicate with gives them positive people in their life that are supporting their recovery. They then also have someone to vent or talk to when times get rough.
- Encourage Rather Than Condemn – If the individual in recovery makes a bad choice, help them to realize there are better options, rather than condemning them for having erred. For instance, if they begin to associate with the old crowd that they were using drugs or alcohol with, you can encourage them to find a better group to associate with, rather than punishing or criticizing them for their negative choice.
- Monitor Your Own Behavior – While living with an individual in recovery, it can be beneficial to tweak certain behaviors of your own to help set a good example. This could include trying not to drink around them if they are in recovery from alcohol. While this may require some lifestyle changes, it is very beneficial for you to assist in creating a good recovery environment for your loved one.
When You or Your Loved One Are Seeking Help With an Addiction
When you or a loved one are struggling with an addiction, seeking treatment should never be deferred. Addiction can get worse very easily, which is why it needs to be addressed before it ends up in dire consequences. Here at Best Drug Rehabilitation, we consider every person uniquely to ensure that they get all individual issues of their addiction and recovery addressed. Recommending programs around this premise allows us to have great success in the treatment of addiction. Give us a call today and our advisors can answer any questions you may have about our program.