Substance Abuse Publisher’s Toolkit
This toolkit is for publishers who are writing about substance abuse. It offers a wealth of great resources, including stats, tips, maps, images, and more.
If you have questions, a resource you’d like for us to add to the toolkit, or other information you’d like to share, we’d love to hear from you!
Fast Facts and Stats
- Problems resulting from substance abuse cost us $700 billion annually — National Institute on Drug Abuse
- More than 15 million people in the U.S. abuse prescription drugs — Foundation for a Drug-free World
- Alcohol is the number one substance abused by adolescents — HHS Office of Adolescent Health
Helpful Articles and Publications
- “Understanding Drug Use and Addiction” – National Institute on Drug Abuse
- “Drug Abuse and Addiction: Signs, Symptoms, and Help for Drug Problems and Substance Abuse” – HelpGuide.org
- Parent’s Guide to Teenage Drug Abuse & Prevention – Dispels common myths and misunderstandings parents have about teenager behavior and its connection to substance abuse. Offers parents dos and don’ts for helping their teens say no to drugs and alcohol.
- Counseling Male Substance Abusers – Outlines the areas of expertise needed in order to effectively counsel male substance abusers.
- From Abuse to Recovery: Understanding Addiction – Offers a scientific approach to understanding addiction by exploring its psychological, neurochemistry, and genetic aspects.
State Spending on Addiction and Substance Abuse – The National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse
The State of Drug Use in America, in 9 Maps – The Huffington Post
How (and how much) the 50 states do drugs, in 5 maps – The Washington Post
Reputable Substance Abuse Organizations
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- World Health Organization
Images and Infographics
These images are free for anyone to use. We just ask that you please cite us as your source when you do so. Thank you!