Holistic Cures for Allergies
Millions and millions of people have allergies – inexplicable reactions to otherwise harmless substances. From pollen and animal fur to dairy and peanuts, allergies are a fact of life for many of us and can be a serious irritation – and for some even life-threatening. Holistic cures for allergies help reduce these symptoms.
You would think that the allergen – the substance, food, etc. to which a person is allergic – is to blame for the condition, when in fact an allergy is the result of a problem with the body’s immune system. What underlies this disorder of the immune system appears to be a mystery in the field of medical science – and it gets even more nebulous when it comes to all the allergic peculiarities from person to person. Considerable science exists when it comes to “managing” allergies – testing to establish what allergies exist and precautions for avoidance.
The immune system can mistake an innocuous substance as a threat and launch an attack against it – this is what brings about the allergic reaction. These reactions can range from wheezing, vomiting, and hives to a severe reaction known as anaphylaxis – a potentially fatal shock to the system brought about by specific allergies such as peanuts, milk, eggs, or bee stings.
Anyone with allergies – particularly of a severe nature – should consult a medical professional and take the necessary precautions. Since we know that allergic reactions are connected with our immune system, the question arises, are there any natural or holistic means that contribute to a balanced and properly functioning immune system?
There are many factors believed to adversely affect the immune system – including but not limited to:
- Chemicals in household cleaners
- Food additives
- Environmental pollutants
- Improper nutrition
- Vitamin & mineral deficiencies
None of this comes as any surprise. When reviewing all manner of ailments and disorders, the factor of what is and is not taken into the body is a common thread. Our bodies are what we eat and breathe! Diet and lifestyle changes are called for if one wishes to begin gaining control over what is happening to the body. Some recommendations:
- Eliminate from your diet highly processed foods, fast foods, and foods high in fat
- Try cutting down or going without dairy and wheat and see if that helps your condition
- Adopt a diet of organic or whole foods, lean organic meats, fruits, and vegetables
- Consume phytonutrients (plant-based)
- Drink lots of water
- Get regular exercise
- Reduce stress (doesn’t mean “don’t work hard” but could be as simple as avoiding things that upset you)
In addition to these basic steps, there are herbs, vitamins, and minerals found to assist in proper immune function:
- Calcium & Magnesium
- MSM (organic sulfur, a naturally occurring compound in the human body)
- Digestive enzymes
- Selenium (mineral acting as an antioxidant, needed for proper immune and heart function)
- Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C)
- Ginkgo Biloba
While it would be a bold statement if anyone said they could cure all allergies, it is possible to take some fundamental steps towards greater health and happiness.