5 Types of Group Therapies Offered at Drug Rehabs
As addiction has continued to ravage our society nationally and globally, new methods of treating it have been developed over the years. This is beneficial, as it has led to a multitude of different types of treatment that an individual can choose to pursue. Due to that, they can use a type of treatment that is suitable for them in particular, rather than being forced into a type that they do not agree with.
Different methods of treatment can generally be sorted into a select few categories, one of which is group therapy. The term group therapy can be very broad, but essentially it describes a type of therapy done along with others also working to recover from their addiction. Different types of group therapy can include:
- Anger Management Groups – Addiction can involve a lot of built up aggression and anger in certain cases. Whether it be at life circumstances, family, other loved ones, or themselves. Group anger management brings those struggling with these held onto emotions together to help relieve them.
- Group Art Therapy – There can be a cascade of emotions, thoughts, and considerations during addiction and recovery. It can be therapeutic to express these in several ways. Many rehabs focus purely on speaking as being the only type of communication. In reality, some struggling with addiction may have difficulty with that type of direct communication. This is where Art Therapy can be extremely valuable, as it allows the person to express these emotions, thoughts, etc. through art, and without having to confront stating them directly.
- Music Therapy – Music therapy has been shown to have a multitude of benefits in the realm of addiction, as well as other areas. Not only does listening to music often have benefits, but learning to play it as well. A person struggling with addiction generally spends a lot of their time using substances or being high. By learning to play music, they are able to develop a hobby that possibly could be used to fill this void. Music therapy also offers a creative outlet for feelings, thoughts, considerations and emotions.
- Martial Arts Therapy – Martial arts therapy helps largely in the physical realm, but it is also very beneficial in other areas as well. A person’s body can be in quite rough shape after being subjected to substance abuse for a longevity, but martial arts can help to build it back up. It can improve muscle strength, flexibility, and balance. Another major benefit of martial arts is the focus upon discipline, which helps a person develop a strong willpower in battling and recovering from their addiction.
- 12 Step – While not generally described or categorized as “group therapy,” 12 step is a form of treatment that is standardly done in groups. 12 step is the traditional type of program that most people know of when it comes to rehab. The 12 steps are a set of tenets that were created to be followed by a person through their journey of recovery, and frequent meetings are held along with other people who are doing the same. This way, the group can assist, encourage and guide each other upon their individual journeys through the steps.
Let Best Drug Rehabilitation Help You to Overcome Addiction
Overcoming addiction can be one of the most difficult things that a person can do, but it can also be one of the most rewarding. Fortunately, there are rehab centers that can make it much more of an enjoyable and fulfilling process. Best Drug Rehabilitation can help by creating a program that is completely unique to your needs and wants. This way, the addiction as a whole can be addressed, including any underlying difficulties or struggles. Do not put off your sobriety until a later time, give us a call today and let us assist you or your loved one.